Association of Anti-TPO Antibodies with Insulin Resistance in Patients of Hypothyroidism with Metabolic Syndrome: A Cross-sectional StudyCorrespondence Address :
Dr. Amit Jain,
Department of Biochemistry, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi-110002, India.
Introduction: Hypothyroidism and Metabolic Syndrome (MetS) are associated with insulin resistance. Exact reason for development of insulin resistance in hypothyroidism is still unclear.
Aim: To determine the association between Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (Anti-TPO Abs) and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) with components of MetS, Fasting Insulin (FSI) and Homeostatic Model Assessment Index for Insulin Resistance (HOMA-IR).
Materials and Methods: Total 118 subjects of hypothyroidism were included in this cross-sectional study. The diagnosis of MetS was made based on National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III (NCEP ATP III) criteria. Independent association of components of MetS, FSI and HOMA-IR with TSH and anti-TPO Abs was analysed by multivariate linear regression analysis.
Results: MetS was more prevalent in subclinical hyperthyroidism (53.0%) compared to overt hypothyroidism (49.3%). Serum anti-TPO Abs level was significantly high in MetS group compared to non-MetS group in both overt (200.0±170.2 and 122.8±98.9, p=0.02*) and subclinical (184.9±142.9 and 114.5±90.9, p=0.04*) hyperthyroidism. Waist Circumference (WC), Fasting Plasma Glucose (FPG), FSI and HOMA-IR were independently associated with anti-TPO Abs in both overt and subclinical hypothyroidism. Anti-TPO was also increased significantly in linear trend along with increased in the number of MetS components in both overt and subclinical hypothyroidism.
Conclusion: MetS is highly prevalent in hypothyroidism and anti-TPO Abs rather than TSH and is more associated with insulin resistance in patients of hypothyroidism with MetS.
Autoimmunity, Fasting plasma glucose and fasting insulin, Thyroid hormones
Date of Submission: Jun 29, 2020
Date of Peer Review: Aug 14, 2020
Date of Acceptance: Sep 01, 2020
Date of Publishing: Oct 01, 2020
• Financial or Other Competing Interests: None
• Was Ethics Committee Approval obtained for this study? Yes
• Was informed consent obtained from the subjects involved in the study? Yes
• For any images presented appropriate consent has been obtained from the subjects. NA
PLAGIARISM CHECKING METHODS:
• Plagiarism X-checker: Jun 30, 2020
• Manual Googling: Aug 28, 2020
• iThenticate Software: Sep 26, 2020 (19%)
ETYMOLOGY: Author Origin
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (Web of Science, thomsonreuters)
- Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 134.54
- Academic Search Complete Database
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Google Scholar
- HINARI Access to Research in Health Programme
- Indian Science Abstracts (ISA)
- Journal seek Database
- Popline (reproductive health literature)