Aconite Poisoning: A Clinical Review of the First Four Cases From Nepal
Dr. Raju Paudel MD, Lecturer, Department of Medicine, Manipal Teaching Hospital / Manipal College of Medical Sciences, Pokhara, Nepal. E-mail:email@example.com Phone: +977 61 526416 Extn: 117/221
Aconite tubers are one of the most toxic plant products. They are taken as medication, and are occasionally confused with some other similar plants which are commonly used as medications. This manuscript describes four cases of aconite poisoning that were managed in the Manipal Teaching Hospital. The patients presented with classical symptoms of aconite poisoning such as perioral paraesthesia, generalized burning sensation, and cardiac manifestations such as hypotension and ventricular tachycardia. Since Aconite is a dangerous life threatening herb, one should be aware of this poison. We report four patients who presented with aconite poisoning after mistakenly ingesting aconite, thinking it to be related to medicinal plants.