Naphthalene Poisoning following Ingestion of Mothballs: A Case Report UD01-UD02
Dr. Tanveer Singh Kundra,
Kothi No.184, Phase 4, Mohali, Punjab- 160055, India.
Naphthalene is a widely used industrial and household chemical in the form of mothballs. But it has rarely been an agent of poisoning worldwide. We describe a case of ingestional naphthalene poisoning with a good outcome after proper management. A 29-year-old girl ingested 8 mothballs, and presented two days later with haemolysis and methaemoglobinaemia. She was given intravenous methylene blue, N-acetylcysteine and ascorbic acid, besides supportive treatment. Renal replacement therapy in the form of SLED of 8 hours was done on a daily basis. She was discharged after ten days on twice a week outpatient follow-up haemodialysis.