Assessment of Knowledge, Attitude and Practice Regarding COVID-19 Pandemic among Health Care Professionals: A Cross-sectional Study OC05-OC10
G-305, Mahima Iris 2, Swej Farm, New Sanganer Road, Jaipur-302019, Rajasthan, India.
Introduction: Health care professionals are at greater risk of acquiring and subsequently transmitting Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection to their patients, families and colleagues. It is of utmost importance for them to have a knowledge about this Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and hence be in a position to practice infection prevention and control.
Aim: To assess the Knowledge, Attitude and Practice (KAP) among health care professionals regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
Materials and Methods: This is a descriptive, cross-sectional study and was conducted in the month of April, 2020, among doctors and nurses. Total 164 health care professionals from the medical college hospital were included in the study. A 53-item survey questionnaire was developed to assess KAP among the health care professionals. Data analysis was done by using Epi info 22.214.171.124 version. Chi-square test was used to analyse variables as appropriate. A p-value of <0.05 was taken to be statistically significant.
Results: A total of 164 responses were collected and analysed. Doctors comprised 43.9% of the total study subjects while remaining 56.1% were nurses. Male to female ratio of the study subjects was 2:1. Fifty-eight percent informed that they had received training about infection control. In the present study, common source of information about COVID-19 was the internet, social media and television followed by newspaper, government sources and radio. Most of the Health Care Workers (HCWs) were aware of the mode of transmission of infection and common preventive measures. Incubation period was known to 95% of respondents. Only 48.9% of nurses thought that the mild form of disease was most common. Almost all believed that washing hands and wearing mask were important preventive measures. Around 60% of HCWs assumed that they knew the steps for wearing and removing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), but very few could remember the exact sequence. Most of them felt that the disease was dangerous, however only 31% were scared to do hospital work. Both nurses and doctors practiced high levels of hand hygiene, cough hygiene and wearing face masks at the workplace.
Conclusion: This study highlights the level of existing KAP of COVID-19 among health care professionals. There is an urgent need to focus on training for correct use of PPE which can safeguard HCWs from contracting COVID-19.