Association between Intimate Partner Violence with Quality of Life VC01-VC04
Dr. SV Sathish Kumar,
Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Kodagu Institute of Medical
Sciences, Madikeri, Karnataka, India.
E-mail : email@example.com
Introduction: An intimate relationship is an interpersonal relationship that involves physical or emotional intimacy. Those who are in such a relationship may experience violence from partners which may affect their day-to-day quality of life and thus cause a burden on the family.
Aim:To assess the relationship between Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) with Quality of life and to provide early interventions.
Materials and Methods: Hospital-based, cross-sectional study was conducted at the Department of Psychiatry, Kodagu Institute of Medical Sciences (KoIMS) teaching hospital Madikeri, Karnataka. The subjects were recruited by purposive sampling method. A total of 5810 consecutive subjects who visited the psychiatry OPD from March 2017 to June 2019 were assessed and among them, 82 subjects both men and women in the age group of 18 to 60 years were recruited. All of them reported IPV on the Hurt, Insulted, Threatened, and Screamed (HITS) scale and were further assessed for Quality of life using the World Health Organisation Quality of Life BREF (WHOQOL-BREF) scale. Descriptive statistics were used for continuous variables. A Nonparametric Chi-square test was applied for categorical variables and Mann-Whitney U scores were used for quality of life variables. The correlation was done using Pearson's correlation.
Results: Mean age was 36.04 in years (SD±11.28) having a mean of 7.5 years of schooling (SD±4.5). The majority belonged to the rural background and lower socioeconomic status. Out of 82 subjects, 21 subjects reported IPV score less than 10 (25.60%) and among the rest of the 61 (74.39%) subjects, 80.32% were females and 19.67% were males who had IPV scores of more than 10. The study subjects reported poor and very poor scores in their overall quality of life and very dissatisfied and dissatisfied in their health domain. IPV also correlated with reduced quality of life, which was statistically significant.
Conclusion: People that experience IPV has an overall reduced quality of life. Routine clinical assessment needs to be done to provide early interventions.