Characteristics and Pregnancy Rate of IVF-ICSI Patients with Short Antagonist Protocols: A 4-Year Single Center Retrospective StudyCorrespondence Address :
Ida Bagus Kartha,
Jl. Sekuta, 6X, Sanur, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia.
Introduction: In-vitro Fertilisation-Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (IVF-ICSI) is a modern technology where a sperm is injected into an ovum. IVF-ICSI is a solution to overcome infertility when all other assisted reproductive technique is not successful. The short antagonist protocol is the most commonly performed ovarian stimulation and the preference in many IVF clinics. The pregnancy rate for IVF-ICSI program in each clinic is influenced by variety of factors.
Aim: To study the success rates and patients characteristics that would increase the pregnancy rate in the IVF-ICSI patients with short antagonist protocols for ovarian stimulation.
Materials and Methods: Medical records of patients who participated in IVF-ICSI program in IVF clinic, from January 2014 to December 2017 were studied. The data were then analysed using Chi-square test.
Results: A total of 428 IVF-ICSI patients met the inclusion criteria; 191 (44.6%) had clinical pregnancies. The mean age of the study population was 33.06±4.529 (22-45) years, the mean maternal BMI was 24.49±4.193 (15.8-43.5) kg/m2 , and the mean duration of infertility was 6.03±3.594 (0-20) years. The number of oocytes obtained Ovum Pick Up (OPU) was 6.74±3.726 (1-22) and mean number of Embryo Transfer (ET) was 2.58±0.946 (1-4). The clinical pregnancy rates significantly increased with the maternal age below 35 years (p=0.017), normal BMI (p=0.016), infertility period less than six years (p=0.005), oocytes more than five obtained during OPU (p=0.001), and three embryos transferred during ET (p=0.003).
Conclusion: The pregnancy rate of IVF-ICSI patients with a short antagonist protocol and fresh ET was 44.6%. The number of oocytes more than five obtained during OPU and three embryos transferred during ET significantly increase the pregnancy rates, while the characteristics of patients who are more likely to be pregnant stastistically are maternal age less than 35 years, a normal BMI, and infertility period of less than six years.
Infertility, In-vitro fertilisation, Intracytoplasmic sperm injection, Ovarian stimulation antagonist
Date of Submission: Aug 05, 2019
Date of Peer Review: Aug 27, 2019
Date of Acceptance: Sep 30, 2019
Date of Publishing: Nov 01, 2019
• Financial or Other Competing Interests: No
• Was Ethics Committee Approval obtained for this study? Yes
• Was informed consent obtained from the subjects involved in the study? NA
• For any images presented appropriate consent has been obtained from the subjects. NA
PLAGIARISM CHECKING METHODS: [Jain H et al.]
• Plagiarism X-checker: Aug 05, 2019
• Manual Googling: Sep 24, 2019
• iThenticate Software: Oct 16, 2019 (5%)
Etymology: Author Origin
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (Web of Science, thomsonreuters)
- Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 134.54
- Academic Search Complete Database
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Google Scholar
- HINARI Access to Research in Health Programme
- Indian Science Abstracts (ISA)
- Journal seek Database
- Popline (reproductive health literature)