Assessment of Age-related Cataract using Scheimpflug Imaging System and its Correlation with Phacoemulsification ParametersCorrespondence Address :
Dr. Sandhya Jeria,
Senior Resident, Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Rohtak-124001, Haryana, India.
Introduction:Phacoemulsification has become the preferred treatment for cataract removal throughout the world. Therefore, it is important to assess cataract preoperatively which could lead to a better organised and customised operative plan.
Aim: To evaluate correlation of age-related cataract using Scheimpflug imaging system (Pentacam) with parameters employed during phacoemulsification.
Materials and Methods:This was a prospective study conducted between February 2016 and July 2017 in the Department of Ophthalmology, Government Medical College, Amritsar, India. Hundred patients (100 eyes) with age-related cataract were enrolled in the study to assess cataract using Scheimpflug imaging (Pentacam) before surgery. Intraoperative parameters during phacoemulsification (ultrasonic power employed and time for which power was employed within the eye) were noted. Correlation of parameters of Scheimpflug imaging system i.e., Nuclear Lens Density (NLD), Average Lens Density (ALD) and Pentacam Nuclear Staging (PNS) score with phaco power and time used during surgery, were analysed using Pearson correlation analysis (r) and regression analysis. Statistical analysis of postoperative complications was done using student t-test. SPSS Version 17 software was used and p-value of <0.05 was considered statistically significant.
Results: There were 55 males and 45 females. Parameters of Scheimpflug imaging system i.e., NLD, ALD and PNS score showed a positive correlation with phaco power (r=0.712; p<0.001, r=0.530; p<0.001, r=0.624; p<0.001 respectively, overall r=0.733) and time (r=0.842; p<0.00, r=0.653; p<0.001, r=0.679; p<0.001 respectively, overall r=0.852).
Conclusion: Preoperative evaluation of age-related cataract using Scheimpflug imaging system aptly predicted the parameters employed during phacoemulsification.
Lens density, Pentacam, Phacodynamics
Date of Submission: Jan 02, 2020
Date of Peer Review: Jan 23, 2020
Date of Acceptance: Apr 28, 2020
Date of Publishing: Jun 01, 2020
• Financial or Other Competing Interests: None
• Was Ethics Committee Approval obtained for this study? Yes
• Was informed consent obtained from the subjects involved in the study? Yes
• For any images presented appropriate consent has been obtained from the subjects. Yes
PLAGIARISM CHECKING METHODS:
• Plagiarism X-checker: Jan 03, 2020
• Manual Googling: Apr 24, 2020
• iThenticate Software: May 14, 2020 (20%)
ETYMOLOGY: Author Origin
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (Web of Science, thomsonreuters)
- Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 134.54
- Academic Search Complete Database
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Google Scholar
- HINARI Access to Research in Health Programme
- Indian Science Abstracts (ISA)
- Journal seek Database
- Popline (reproductive health literature)