Effect of Three Different Polishing Systems on Surface Texture of Nanofilled Composite- A Profilometric StudyCorrespondence Address :
Sumit Balasaheb Vhate,
Bramhchaitnya Nagar, Omkar Nivas, Vasud Road, Sangola, Maharashtra, India.
Introduction: Improper finishing and polishing of composite resins always present a problem to dental practitioner. Advances in composite resin materials and the instruments used for finishing and polishing has revolutionised the art of aesthetic dentistry. This study utilises surface texture of composite resin as a quality of finishing and polishing achieved by polishing systems.
Aim: To evaluate the surface texture of nanofilled composite resin (Filtek Z350XT) polished by Sof-Lex XT, Enhance and PoGo, KerrHawe and OptiDisc polishing systems.
Materials and Methods: In this invitro experimental study, three polishing systems were tested for surface texture of a nanofilled composite resin (Filtek Z350XT, USA). A total of 66 specimens (2 cm in diameter and 2 cm in height) were prepared from acrylic mold. Circular cavity measuring 8 mm in diameter and 3 mm in depth were prepared in each specimen. All the cavities were filled with nanofilled composite resin. The filled specimens were divided into 3 groups of 22 each and polished by Sof-Lex XT, Enhance and PoGo, KerrHawe and OptiDisc respectively. The surface roughness was measured by surface profilometer. Data was analysed by using ANOVA test between treatment groups.
Results: The surface roughness (Ra) was less for the Sof-Lex XT group (0.35±0.09) as compared to Enhance and PoGo (0.56±0.14), KerrHawe and OptiDisc groups (0.59±0.15). One-way ANOVA test revealed p≤0.05 which was statistically significant.
Conclusion: The Sof-Lex XT system was found to be more effective as compared to other two systems.
Burs, Disc, Specimen, Surface profilometer, Surface roughness
Date of Submission: Feb 10, 2020
Date of Peer Review: Apr 02, 2020
Date of Acceptance: Apr 23, 2020
Date of Publishing: Jun 01, 2020
• Financial or Other Competing Interests: None
• Was Ethics Committee Approval obtained for this study? Yes
• Was informed consent obtained from the subjects involved in the study? NA
• For any images presented appropriate consent has been obtained from the subjects. NA
PLAGIARISM CHECKING METHODS:
• Plagiarism X-checker: Feb 11, 2020
• Manual Googling: Apr 23, 2020
• iThenticate Software: May 09, 2020 (17%)
ETYMOLOGY: Author Origin
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (Web of Science, thomsonreuters)
- Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 134.54
- Academic Search Complete Database
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Google Scholar
- HINARI Access to Research in Health Programme
- Indian Science Abstracts (ISA)
- Journal seek Database
- Popline (reproductive health literature)