Thyroid Function and Anti-TPO Antibody Status among Tribal Perimenopausal Women Near Bengaluru, Karnataka, IndiaCorrespondence Address :
Dr. R Reena,
Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Rajarajeswari Medical College and Hospital, No. 202, Kambipura, Mysore Road, Bengaluru-5660074, Karnataka, India.
Introduction: Higher prevalence of thyroid diseases are noted with increasing age. Symptoms of thyroid disorders often develop so insidiously, that they go unnoticed and there is also the risk of being misinterpreted for menopausal symptoms. Present study was executed in view of paucity of data regarding thyroid disorders among tribal perimenopausal age group and there was a need for timely intervention of this chronic noncommunicable disorder among these women.
Aim: To determine the thyroid function and anti-Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody (anti-TPO Ab) status among the tribal perimenopausal women.
Materials and Methods: A descriptive, cross-sectional study was conducted for a period of six months from July 2017 to December 2017 among perimenopausal women in the age group of 40-55 years residing at Hakki Pikki Tribal Colony near Bengaluru, Karnataka, India. Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Total T3 (Total Tri iodothyronine), Total T4 (Total Tetraidiodothyronine) and anti-TPO antibody levels were estimated by Chemiluminescence Immuno Assay (CLIA). Data was analysed using Open Epi software to find out MeanÂ±SD, p-value (studentâ€™s t-test with significance set at p<0.05) and r-value (Pearsonâ€™s correlation coefficient).
Results: Subclinical Hypothyroidism (SCH) was observed in 3 (7.32%) women and anti-TPO Ab positivity (anti-TPO antibody level >30 IU/mL) was found in 14 (34.14%) women amongst 41 perimenopausal subjects. Raised anti-TPO Ab was observed in all the 3 (100%) SCH women and 11 (26.82%) euthyroid women. Significant difference (p<0.001) between anti-TPO Ab values among SCH and euthyroid women with significant positive correlation (r-value 0.7023 and p<0.05) between TSH and anti-TPO Ab values in anti-TPO Ab positive women was noted.
Conclusion: Anti-TPO Ab positivity was seen in 34% of perimenopausal women, out of them majority 79% was in euthyroid state and 21% had SCH. Hence in addition to routine thyroid profile, we suggest estimation of anti-TPO Ab levels in this age group.
Anti-thyroid peroxidase antibody, Hakki pikki tribal, Perimenopause, Thyroid diseases, Thyroid function tests
Date of Submission: Apr 23, 2020
Date of Peer Review: Jun 18, 2020
Date of Acceptance: Sep 09, 2020
Date of Publishing: Oct 01, 2020
• Financial or Other Competing Interests: None
• Was Ethics Committee Approval obtained for this study? Yes
• Was informed consent obtained from the subjects involved in the study? Yes
• For any images presented appropriate consent has been obtained from the subjects. NA
PLAGIARISM CHECKING METHODS:
• Plagiarism X-checker: Apr 24, 2020
• Manual Googling: Sep 05, 2020
• iThenticate Software: Sep 28, 2020 (5%)
ETYMOLOGY: Author Origin
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (Web of Science, thomsonreuters)
- Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 134.54
- Academic Search Complete Database
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Google Scholar
- HINARI Access to Research in Health Programme
- Indian Science Abstracts (ISA)
- Journal seek Database
- Popline (reproductive health literature)