Comparative Study of FOXC1 Expression in Selective Odontogenic Cysts and TumoursCorrespondence Address :
Department of Oral Biology, Faculty of Dentistry, Naresuan University, Mueang, Phitsanulok, Thailand.
Introduction: Many studies have indicated that Forkhead Box C1 (FOXC1) is highly expressed in a various malignant neoplasms and its over expression is associated with tumour development, progression and metastasis. However, the role of FOXC1 in odontogenic lesions remains to be elucidated.
Aim: This study aimed to investigate FOXC1 expression in selective Odontogenic Cysts (OC) and Odontogenic Tumours (OT).
Materials and Methods: A descriptive study on OC and OT was performed on oral biopsy specimens at Faculty of Dentistry, Naresuan University, Phitsanulok, Thailand, between January 2009 and December 2016. Institute of Cancer Research (ICR) mouse were used as study animal. Immunohistochemical reaction was performed using antibody against FOXC1 in 23 formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded tissues of eight Ameloblastoma (AM), one Adenomatoid Odontogenic Tumour (AOT), seven Odontogenic Keratocyst (OKC), five Dentigerous Cyst (DC), two Calcifying Odontogenic Cyst (COC) and three mouse embryonic head at Embryonic Day (E)14. The expression level of FOXC1 was evaluated using semi-quantitative analysis.
Results: Immunoreactivity of FOXC1 was not detected in the epithelial lining of OKC, DC and COC but it was identified in the epithelial compartment of AM and AOT. Overall, semi-quantitative analysis demonstrated moderate staining of FOXC1 and staining score was 4.13 in AM and 5 in AOT. In addition, FOXC1 was not detected in normal tooth bud of mouse including both enamel organ and condensing ectomesenchyme.
Conclusion: Expression of FOXC1 may contribute in tumouriogenesis of OT whereas it is may not be related with normal odontogenesis.
Embryonic head, Odontogenesis, Tooth bud, Tumouriogenesis
Date of Submission: May 06, 2020
Date of Peer Review: Jun 06, 2020
Date of Acceptance: Jun 24, 2020
Date of Publishing: Sep 01, 2020
• Financial or Other Competing Interests: As declared above
• Was Ethics Committee Approval obtained for this study? Yes
• Was informed consent obtained from the subjects involved in the study? NA
• For any images presented appropriate consent has been obtained from the subjects. NA
PLAGIARISM CHECKING METHODS:
• Plagiarism X-checker: May 07, 2020
• Manual Googling: Jun 17, 2020
• iThenticate Software: Aug 27, 2020 (12%)
ETYMOLOGY: Author Origin
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (Web of Science, thomsonreuters)
- Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 134.54
- Academic Search Complete Database
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Google Scholar
- HINARI Access to Research in Health Programme
- Indian Science Abstracts (ISA)
- Journal seek Database
- Popline (reproductive health literature)