To Determine the Levels of C-reactive Protein, Total Protein and Serum Uric Acid among Cell Phone Addicted and Depressed Individuals: A Case-control Study in the Medical College of Uttar Pradesh, IndiaCorrespondence Address :
Dr. Preeti Sharma,
Santosh Medical College and Hospital, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Introduction: Cell phone or smart phone abuse has become a daily phenomenon, many diseases are found to be associated with cell phone overuse, it also leads to mental anxiety, mood disorder etc.,
Aim: To study C-Reactive Protein (CRP), Serum Uric Acid (SUA) and Serum Total Protein (STP) in cell phone addiction and depression together in the medical college campus.
Materials and Methods: The present study was a case-control study in which total 150 subjects with 75 cases of depression and cell phone addiction and 75 healthy controls were involved from medical college of Uttar Pradesh, India. The diagnosis of depression and cell phone addiction was done by (Hamilton, Smart phone Addiction Scale-Short Version) scales. CRP, SUA and STP were quantified using Chem-7 Erba analyser from fasting serum samples. Data was analysed by Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) 17.0 software.
Results: Significant correlation between depression and cell phone addiction was found (p=0.023). Significant difference between cases and controls (p<0.001) was found for age, depression score, cell phone addiction score but CRP, SUA and STP were insignificant.
Conclusion: Present research acknowledges many vital observations between cell phone addiction and depression with biochemical trajectories, which is novelty of this study. Youngsters are tending towards addiction and depression, which is an alarm for society and policy makers to rethink about modern gadgets advancements. It is strongly recommended to do further research in this area with more subjects and biochemical markers.
Depression, Serum total protein, Smart phone addiction
Date of Submission: Dec 14, 2020
Date of Peer Review: Feb 09, 2021
Date of Acceptance: Mar 16, 2021
Date of Publishing: May 01, 2021
• Financial or Other Competing Interests: None
• Was Ethics Committee Approval obtained for this study? Yes
• Was informed consent obtained from the subjects involved in the study? Yes
• For any images presented appropriate consent has been obtained from the subjects. NA
PLAGIARISM CHECKING METHODS:
• Plagiarism X-checker: Dec 16, 2020
• Manual Googling: Mar 15, 2021
• iThenticate Software: Mar 30, 2021 (15%)
ETYMOLOGY: Author Origin
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (Web of Science, thomsonreuters)
- Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 134.54
- Academic Search Complete Database
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Google Scholar
- HINARI Access to Research in Health Programme
- Indian Science Abstracts (ISA)
- Journal seek Database
- Popline (reproductive health literature)