Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Oxycarotenoid Extracts Isolated from Coriander Leaves (Coriandrum Sativum) and Curry Leaves (Murraya koenigii) on Carrageenan Induced Acute Inflammation in RatsCorrespondence Address :
Professor and Head, Department of Biochemistry, Jubilee Mission Medical College
and Research Institute, Trichur, Kerala, India.
Introduction: Green leafy vegetables are important sources of polyphenols and carotenoids which possess both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities.
Aim: To study the anti-inflammatory activity of oxycarotenoid extracts isolated from coriander leaves (Coriandrumsativum) and curry leaves (Murraya koenigii) in carrageenan induced acute paw oedema in rats.
Materials and Methods: Oxycarotenoid extracts were isolated from the coriander leaves (Coriandrum sativum) and curry leaves (Murraya koenigii) and they were assessed for antiinflammatory activities by in-vivo methods. The in-vivo antiinflammatory activity was evaluated in carrageenan induced acute paw oedema model. Indomethacin at a dose of 20 mg/Kg body weight was used as standard anti-inflammatory drug.
Results: The results revealed that oxycarotenoids extracted from coriander leaves administered at a dose of 40 mg/ kg body weight showed an inhibition of 53.33% whereas the oxycarotenoids extracted from curry leaves showed an inhibition of 60% at the sixth hour after carrageenan injection. The results are comparable with those of indomethacin (20 mg/ Kg body weight) administered group which showed an inhibition of 55.53%
Conclusion: These findings suggest that oxycarotenoid extracts isolated from leafy vegetables (coriander leaves and curry leaves) have significant anti-inflammatory activities.
Indomethacin, Leafy vegetables, Oxycarotenoids, Paw oedema
Date of Submission: Aug 16, 2020
Date of Peer Review: Oct 07, 2020
Date of Acceptance: Nov 25, 2020
Date of Publishing: Jan 01, 2021
• Financial or Other Competing Interests: None
• Was Ethics Committee Approval obtained for this study? Yes
• Was informed consent obtained from the subjects involved in the study? NA
• For any images presented appropriate consent has been obtained from the subjects. NA
PLAGIARISM CHECKING METHODS:
• Plagiarism X-checker: Aug 22, 2020
• Manual Googling: Oct 27, 2020
• iThenticate Software: Dec 30, 2020 (21%)
ETYMOLOGY: Author Origin
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (Web of Science, thomsonreuters)
- Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 134.54
- Academic Search Complete Database
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Google Scholar
- HINARI Access to Research in Health Programme
- Indian Science Abstracts (ISA)
- Journal seek Database
- Popline (reproductive health literature)