Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding Therapeutic Intervention among Chronic Kidney Disease Patients in a Selected Hospital of Nadiad City, Gujarat: A Quasi-Experimental StudyCorrespondence Address :
Vedanti Subhashbhai Patel,
6, Nataraj Flat, Nana Kumbhnath Road, Nadiad, Gujarat, India.
Introduction: Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) is a severe clinical problem which has a significant socioeconomic impact worldwide. Diet, exercise, haemodialysis, Kidney Transplantation are some of the treatment modalities used to maintain patient's health. It is necessary to create awareness regarding the therapeutic interventions that are available among these patients to improve their knowledge.
Aim: To assess the effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme (STP) on knowledge regarding therapeutic intervention among CKD Patient.
Materials and Methods: A quantitative study with quasi experimental pre-test and post-test, two-group design was conducted at Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital. A total of 60 CKD patients were enrolled into the study. A structured questionnaire in Gujarati language was built that contained information regarding CKD, lifestyle modifications such as diet and exercise; knowledge on haemodialysis and kidney transplantation. The structured questionnaire was used to assess the knowledge regarding the interventions. A pilot study was conducted and was found to be feasible. The study duration was of seven days with the pre-test conducted on day one of the study followed by a structured training for three consecutive days, and the perception of the participants were evaluated on day seven using a standard questionnaire. The effect of STP was analysed by student's t-test and Chisquare test was used to find the association with selected demographic variables.
Results: The study included CKD patients. The mean age of study population is above 49 years with 65% males and their data were analysed systematically. The post-test mean knowledge score of patients in the experimental and control group was 27.36±2.63 and 17.73±2.37, respectively. The result implies that there was an inadequate knowledge among patients with CKD.
Conclusion: The structured teaching Programme was effective in increasing knowledge regarding therapeutic intervention among CKD patients.
Chronic kidney, Gujarati language, Socio demographic variable, T-test
Date of Submission: Oct 14, 2020
Date of Peer Review: Nov 07, 2020
Date of Acceptance: Dec 26, 2020
Date of Publishing: Jan 01, 2021
• Financial or Other Competing Interests: None
• Was Ethics Committee Approval obtained for this study? Yes
• Was informed consent obtained from the subjects involved in the study? Yes
• For any images presented appropriate consent has been obtained from the subjects. NA
PLAGIARISM CHECKING METHODS:
• Plagiarism X-checker: Oct 15, 2020
• Manual Googling: Dec 24, 2020
• iThenticate Software: Dec 29, 2020 (18%)
ETYMOLOGY: Author Origin
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (Web of Science, thomsonreuters)
- Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 134.54
- Academic Search Complete Database
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Google Scholar
- HINARI Access to Research in Health Programme
- Indian Science Abstracts (ISA)
- Journal seek Database
- Popline (reproductive health literature)