A Survey to Assess the Knowledge, Attitude and Practice about COVID-19 Pandemic from West Bengal, IndiaCorrespondence Address :
157/212, Bigyan Bharati, Rabindra Nagar, Laskarpur, Kolkata-700153, West Bengal, India.
Introduction: The Coronavirus Disease-2019 (COVID-19) that originated in China in December 2019 was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation (WHO) on 11th March, 2020. It has resulted in extensive lockdown measures in India and in the state of West Bengal. Both Central and State Governments have made considerable efforts to increase awareness about the pandemic among the general public.
Aim: This study was conducted to assess the Knowledge, Attitude, and Practice (KAP) among the general public of West Bengal about the pandemic as no such data is available till date.
Materials and Methods: The retrospective survey was undertaken among the general public of the state of West Bengal, India, by means of social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin and WhatsApp) through a validated e-questionnaire containing 10 questions during 18th April, 2020 to 3rd May, 2020. Data was captured on Google Forms, which were analysed using appropriate tools.
Results: A total of 355 responses were obtained. A 97% of responders were completely aware of the pandemic with 92% practising preventive measures, such as social distancing, washing hands, and wearing a mask. Majority of the participants were young (18-30 years of age) with 51% being males. A 99% of the responders were literate and 86% were from urban dwelling. Total 61% of the participants stated that they have learnt something new after participating in this survey.
Conclusion: KAP about COVID-19 pandemic was found to be high in the general population of West Bengal. Involvement of various social media platforms is required for generating mass awareness about COVID-19 in rural West Bengal. Continuous communication and survey by the Government is necessary to spread public awareness as information about COVID-19 is constantly evolving.
Awareness, Mask, Public awareness, Questionnaire, Social distancing
Date of Submission: Jul 15, 2020
Date of Peer Review: Sep 26, 2020
Date of Acceptance: Dec 31, 2020
Date of Publishing: Apr 01, 2021
• Financial or Other Competing Interests: No
• Was Ethics Committee Approval obtained for this study? Yes
• Was informed consent obtained from the subjects involved in the study? Yes
• For any images presented appropriate consent has been obtained from the subjects. NA
PLAGIARISM CHECKING METHODS:
• Plagiarism X-checker: Jul 16, 2020
• Manual Googling: Dec 31, 2020
• iThenticate Software: Jan 25, 2021 (3%)
ETYMOLOGY: Author Origin
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (Web of Science, thomsonreuters)
- Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 134.54
- Academic Search Complete Database
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Google Scholar
- HINARI Access to Research in Health Programme
- Indian Science Abstracts (ISA)
- Journal seek Database
- Popline (reproductive health literature)