Study of Correlation of Cytomorphological Features of Lymphocytic Thyroiditis with Biochemical Parameters and Vitamin D Deficiency
Correspondence Address :
Dr. Preeti Patni,
Department of Pathology, Base Hospital, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Introduction: Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology (FNAC) of the thyroid is a reliable and common method used for diagnosis of chronic Lymphocytic Thyroiditis (LT) which is an autoimmune disease. Vitamin D (Vit D) deficiency, a prevalent health problem, is known to have correlation with various autoimmune diseases especially chronic LT.
Aim: To evaluate the relationship between Vit D levels, biochemical parameters with cytomorphological features of LT.
Materials and Methods: The present cohort study was conducted on 88 patients with cytological evidence of LT at a thyroid research centre in northern India between June 2017 to September 2018. Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Antithyroid Peroxidase (ATPO) Antibody and Vit D levels along with patientâ€™s clinical presentation, and thyroid ultrasound were evaluated for all subjects. The cytological grades and other cytomorphological features were correlated with these parameters.
Results: Most of the patients were females (82, 93.2%) who presented with diffuse thyromegaly (69, 78.4%) and had hypothyroidism (58, 65.9%). By cytology grade I thyroiditis (40, 45.5%) was commonest followed by grade II (38, 43.2%). The Vit D deficiency and elevated ATPO were seen in 72 (81.8%) and 78 (88.6%) patients, respectively. Lowest level of Vit D (7.8±4.9 ng/mL) was seen in grade III patients. Significant correlation was observed between ATPO and Vit D levels with cytomorphological grades and some cytomorphological features like Hurthle cell change and plasma cells presence. While TSH levels correlated significantly with cytological grades only in hypothyroid group.
Conclusion: This study found that Vit D deficiency and ATPO levels significantly correlates with cytological grades of thyroiditis and affect certain cytomorphological features like plasma cells presence, suggesting lower levels of
Antithyroid peroxidase antibody, Cytological grades, Hurthle cell
Date of Submission: Feb 15, 2021
Date of Peer Review: Apr 03, 2021
Date of Acceptance: Jul 16, 2021
Date of Publishing: Sep 01, 2021
• Financial or Other Competing Interests: None
• Was Ethics Committee Approval obtained for this study? Yes
• Was informed consent obtained from the subjects involved in the study? Yes
• For any images presented appropriate consent has been obtained from the subjects. Yes
PLAGIARISM CHECKING METHODS:
• Plagiarism X-checker: Feb 16, 2021
• Manual Googling: Jul 08, 2021
• iThenticate Software: Aug 13, 2021 (6%)
ETYMOLOGY: Author Origin
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (Web of Science, thomsonreuters)
- Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 134.54
- Academic Search Complete Database
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Google Scholar
- HINARI Access to Research in Health Programme
- Indian Science Abstracts (ISA)
- Journal seek Database
- Popline (reproductive health literature)